Monday, July 21, 2008

Day Twenty Two, Strolling Around Atlanta

Ah, I another wonderful morning of sleeping in and not worrying about hotel checkout! I liked staying in all of those hotels and it was fun being nomadic for a while, but it is so nice to stay at Ashley's apartment which seems somewhat normal, or at least the most normal on this trip so far. I am definitely looking forward to spending the next week or so at my cousins' in Wake Forest, North Carolina because it means a long break from hotels and, of course, that I get to spend some quality time with my 8-month-old buddy Connor!

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Today we went to another great local spot Ashley likes for lunch, the 5th Earl, not to be confused w/ the Earl. This was a unique place, small sandwich shop by day/wine bar by night and it was in a great old space with exposed brick, which I love! Red brick was definitely one of my favorite architectural features on the majority of the buildings and houses in Atlanta. There were so many great old brick houses as well as craftsman style houses with cute porches. One of my favorite houses we saw was actually the house of Ashley's friend who had the birthday party we attended on Friday. Not only did it have a great porch, but it had a front row view of the weekly Friday night fireworks at Turner Field, being that she's only a few blocks away from the stadium. It was so cool! I'd love to live in a place like that, such a great space and spot!

Anyway, back to 5th Earl. The sandwiches all sounded amazing, but I ended up getting the Windsor because it had sliced squash and zucchini on it! I love both and had never seen a sandwich with them before so I couldn't resist getting it and it was so good, totally worth it!

After lunch, we met up with more of Ashley's friends. She's a very popular lady! And what's even better is that all of her friends were very nice and welcoming to me as I tagged along on each of their adventures. Our initial plan was to try the olive oil and seasalt ice cream which Ashley had actually read about in the US Airways magazine on a plane once, but had yet to try. We were very excited, but found out that morning that the place isn't open on Sundays! We were bummed, but still determined to get ice cream, so we drove to another place called Paolo's, but they only took cash and we didn't have any, so we tried another place around the corner called What's the Scoop, which as it turns out no longer exists. Fortunately, though, in it's place is Yoforia, a yogurt place very similar to Pinkberry, for those LA natives who know and love it! It was actually a little different because it had a few other flavors of yogurt, including pomegranate, which I got and it was so yummy! I guess I'll just have to come back to Atlanta soon to try some of that famous olive oil and seasalt ice cream!

With our ice cream craving momentarily satisfied, we headed to a nearby park to wander around and people watch. Unfortunately, it was so hot and humid out that there weren't many people hanging out at the park and for the same reason, we kept our walk pretty short. However, we still had a good time and the park was really beautiful and worth braving the heat to see. Being from overbuilt and brush-filled California, a huge, bright green, shady park in the middle of a big city is always awe-inspiring to me. But by the end of our loop, we decided that we had clearly done the ice cream/park sequence backwards! Luckily, Ashley's huge apartment complex has a pool so we were able to cool off a bit.
The final event of the day was a late night showing of the new film, "Mamma Mia." Ashley is my movie guru and it's only fitting that I'd see 2 movies in 3 days with her when Wall-E was the first movie I had seen in theaters in months. I do miss her influence on me! "Mamma Mia" was very entertaining and good, obviously in a different way than "The Dark Knight" but I enjoyed it almost as much. However, I don't know if I want to see it again just yet whereas I really want to see "The Dark Knight" again soon! Maybe I'll do a double feature on Friday w/ the new "The X-Files" movie, which I am super excited about! I can't wait! It is clearly movie week for Jessa!

Well, that is the end of this installment of the Ashley/Jessa saga for now, but I am sure that a sequel will be coming very soon! After all, sequels are so popular these days and us movie aficianadas wouldn't want to be left out of the mix!

No comments: