Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day Twenty One, The Coke Side of Life!

It was so nice to sleep in this morning and not have to worry about checking out by 11am! It was such a nice change of pace!

After sleeping in late and missing breakfast, Ashley and I ventured out to find some lunch. We went to another one of her favorite spots, the Brick Store Pub. I had some yummy pasta and Ashley had a really good Chicken Salad Melt, which if I'm ever back in town, I will definitely be getting because I had a bite of hers and loved it! I also prepared myself for today's festivities by drinking two glasses of Coca Cola so I'd have that wonderful liquid flowing through my veins while walking through the World of Coca Cola museum.

We were in a cute spot in town, so we walked off our lunch a bit and took some fun pictures in front of the courthouse across the street from the restaurant. I shot a cannon and even stopped to help Thomas Jefferson write the Declaration of Independence. It was fun being silly with Ashley, or at least being silly while Ashley grinned, put up with me, and still was willing to take pictures of me for my blog!

Finally, we drove downtown to the World of Coca Cola, which in my opinion, might just have been better than the Disneyland! However, we almost didn't go in because I was discouraged by the extremely long line we found when we arrived! I had no idea that so many people would travel from all over the world to go to Coke musuem. I mean, I know I traveled pretty far to visit this magical place, but I just didn't know that other people were as interested and/or obsessed with Coca Cola as I was. It was a surprise to say the least. While contemplating what to do, we took a moment to pay tribute to one of my heroes, the inventor of Coke, John Pemberton!
Luckily, Ashley was there to give me the nudge and boost of confidence I needed to still go to the museum and not bail just because of a very long, discouraging line. She knew how much and for how long I have wanted to go to the Coke museum and, told me that even though the line was long, it would move fast and we'd be in before we knew it and that it would be worth the wait. And she was right! Sure, we waited in the heat and humidity for a good 45 minutes to an hour before we got in, but we got in, and that's all that matters! And it was totally worth it!

After we were finally inside the air conditioned World of Coca Cola, I kept telling Ashley that I wanted my house to look just like all the rooms we passed through with wall to wall Coke memorabilia. Then I finally decided that rather than do all the work and waste all that time to find all those cool artifacts and wall decorations, I should just live at the Coke museum, which already has everything Coke I could ever want or need, plus plenty of Coke to drink as well. Problem solved! I'll let you know when I move in!

I was truly in awe of it all and felt like an excited little kid on Christmas morning, but hoping that the Coca Cola Polar Bear had arrived bearing Coke-themed gifts instead of Santa Claus!
Sometimes I felt like I was really annoying Ashley with my crazy behavior, which I probably was, but she thankfully continued to put up with and humor me anyway. I have the photos she took to prove it! She's such a great friend!
I think she might have even liked and had a good time as well as she is a fellow Coca Cola lover - no Pepsi for us! We even got to sample Coca Cola brand sodas from all over the world, my favorite being ginger ale flavor of the African brand Kinley. To be honest, the majority of the different sodas we tried weren't that good and I am glad that we have an unlimited supply of regular Coke here in the US so that I don't have to worry about all those other brands and flavors. While in the tasting area, we received a souveneir bottle of Coke that was bottled today in the bottling section of the museum we had previousy toured and has today's date stamped on it, so it will be a great momento of my time inside the World of Coca Cola!I, of course, bought several other souveniers, including a cool red t-shirt, a can-shaped glass, a shot glass in the shape of a classic Coke glass, and another bottle of Coke with a specialized wrapping image for the World of Coca Cola in Atlanta.
I was sad to leave such a magical place, but I know I'll be back someday very soon!

Across the street from the Coke museum is Centennial Olympic Park, which features a number of memorials from the 1996 Olympic Games that took place in Atlanta. Since it was right there, I decided to quickly walk through and take a look around at part of another Olympic site. It's pretty cool that in the span of just 3 weeks, I've been to two previous sites of the Olympics. I suppose the next goal would be to attend an actual Olympic games someday. I don't think that's going to happen this summer in China, but maybe I'll make it a goal to attend somehow if Chicago wins the bid for the 2016 Olympics. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

After our exciting time at the World of Coca Cola, we went to a World Farmer's Market and wandered around there for a bit before dinner. I bought some oatmeal cinnamon chocolate chip cookies and yummy organic peach juice we had sampled while there. Then we went with another of Ashley's many friends to dinner at Taqueria del Sol near her apartment. She likes it because it's sort of a combination of mexican food and southern food in a way because their chicken tacos are fairly normal with the exception that they used little fried chicken strips instead of grilled chicken. I was a little uncertain how that would work, but it was actually very good. I was pleasantly suprised, yet again. Then we walked around town a bit more to talk and hang out since it had finally cooled down to 80 degrees or so, if you can call that cool!

That about does it for another great day with Ashley in Atlanta. There are more adventures ahead tomorrow, including ice cream with olive oil and seasalt! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Carol and Bill said...

Atlanta brings back memories- we were there for the 1996 Olympics. You were able to see a lot more than we did- the place was mobbed when we were there. We do remember a place called "Patti's Porch" where you enjoyed cold tall drinks rocking on tall rockers to southern music while waitine for your table. There was also a great art museum but also mobs of people. Glad you saw it less crowed!

Karen said...

ahh jessa i can hardly believe you are in atlanta already. we leave on wednesday early for our trip out there - and I am starting to get really sad. I have cried the last two nights. :o( I mean I am excited for the adventure of the road trip and seeing some of the things that you are seeing...but I am beginning to realize all of the things I am going to miss about being here. Anyways, I hope I will get to meet up with you in the south - it will definitely be something to look forward to, a familiar face. I would love to tour around with you and take silly pictures of you in our little town of Athens. :o) What are your travel plans for the next few weeks?? We should talk on the phone sometime soon. Perhaps while we are both on the road. :o) love you! I am enjoying your blog. talk to you soon!