Thursday, July 17, 2008

Day Eighteen, Graceland!

I am still way behind on blogging and even though it's very late, I wanted to put something up about yesterday so I at least stayed only one day behind rather than two.

The main destination today was Graceland! But before I get into the details, here is a brief disclaimer about the photos in today's blog. Please excuse the poor quality and blurriness of many of the photos. There was no flash photography allowed in the Graceland mansion or museums in order to preserve the quality of the costumes and fabrics in those places. Apparently, one flash is equal to 50 days of sunlight exposure, at least that's what I think one of the workers at Graceland mentioned at one point. I suppose having blurry pictures is worth preserving Elvis' Graceland home and legacy.
To be honest, I'm not a huge Elvis fan, especially since I didn't grow up during his era or have a direct connection to him like that, but I do know and like some of his classic songs, especially Jailhouse Rock and Can't Help Falling in Love (I really love this one!) and I respect his talent and the enduring legacy he left behind as the King of Rock and Roll. To be really honest, the majority of my exposure to Elvis in my life can probably be traced back to the classic TV show, Full House, in which John Stamos' character, Jesse, was an Elvis wannabe and thus often referenced the King on a regular basis. Sad, but true. At least now I have a exerienced a more meaningful exposure to the true Elvis having been to Graceland, his home and a tribute devoted entirely to him. I mean, how much more legitimate does it get? Although, I think 3 hours at Graceland put me in a bit of Elvis overload and shock, it may have been a bit too much all at once, but it was, once again, worth it!

I bought the more complete package tour, which included not only the physical and audio tour of the Graceland mansion and grounds, but also admission to his automobile collection, his two airplanes, and the Sincerely Elvis exhibit, which was a collection of his many different costumes throughout his career. The mansion tour was very cool, but it was a bit more structured than I'm used to on this trip. Most places I've visited have allowed me to take self-guided tours where I can go where I please within the park or museum and spend as much or little time in each section as I please. The mansion was very different. We were shuttled across the street from the main facility to the mansion and constantly remained in a single file line as we were shuffled through the one way only path through the house, running into security and workers at every turn, and always being watched by numerous security cameras in each room. The upstairs was off-limits for the tour as Elvis wanted it that way while he was alive and they continue to keep it that way today out of respect to his wishes, but with all the security on the grounds, you'd think that he was still alive and living up there! Despite the different atmosphere, it was still a great sight to see, all the suedes and tweeds on the furniture, the shag carpeting, the old TV sets, the loudly patterned curtains, wood paneling, all still in tact and preserved for us to see it as it was when Elvis lived there. I love it when people work so hard to preserve history for generations to see as they were in their present time. It's so much more impactful and leaves a stronger impression than photographs of those things would. I think it's so important to preserve what we can of today's world for future generations to appreciate and be a part of in their own way.

After my tour of the mansion, I took the shuttle back to the main facility and headed to the Rockabilly's Diner for something I'd been thinking about and craving since the night before when I read about it online, an Elvis favorite: a toasted peanut butter and banana sandwich, and an Icee, which probably didn't exist in Elvis' day but it was so hot and humid and I needed something to cool off and get me through the rest of the tour! I couldn't resist! I actually like peanut butter and banana sandwiches and make them every once in a while, but I'd never had one toasted before, it was yummy! I'll have to try to make one of my own as soon as a I buy some bread...and bananas...strangely enough I actually have peanut butter with me in case I wanted to put some on some crackers I have as a snack. Ok, I'm sort of starting to salivate with wanting a PB&B sandwich right now, so I'd better move on.

Next stop was the Automobile museum, which I really liked! I love old cars and even though he didn't own my coveted 1966 Ford Mustang, but he did have a 1966 Rolls Royce which isn't a bad alternative!Here are some of his other amazing cars! I'd love to just ride in one of them, let alone own one!
1960 MG
1960's Cadillac
1971 Stutz Blackhawk

After the automobile musuem, I continued with the transportation theme and moved on to Elvis' two private planes, the first and largest being the Lisa Marie, named after his daughter. Private planes are always cool because they're so spacious and there's usually very luxurious, comfy seats with tons of legroom and often a bedroom to stretch out in as well. However, they're not nearly as exciting to just walk through as they would be to actually fly in, I'm sure! Mostly the plane had couches and a conference room table. I thought the only cool parts of this plane were the fancy, fairly spacious bathroom with a gold (probably real gold) sink, the bedroom in the back, and the multiple TV's, which must have been pretty innovative and rare back in the 50s and 60s. The other plane on display, the Jet Star, was much smaller than the Lisa Marie, but had a unique feature that made up for it: bright yellow and lime green colored seats! If I ever have a private plane, I want fun-colored seats, lots of TV's, and a comfy bed, just in case anyone is thinking about getting me an early birthday or Christmas present!

Finally, I meandered over to the Sincerely Elvis exhibit, which was full of sequened, tasseled, brightly colored costumes, as well as the classic and famous white jumpsuits Elvis the Pelvis rocked out in during many a performance. I can't imagine a musician today wearing those costumes in the same way I can't imagine Elvis wearing anything else! It was great to see all those tangible peaces of Elvis, since I know of him, but never got to see him in person. Now I feel like I've gotten as close to the real thing as I can get and so glad I had that opportunity!

Thank you, thank you very much!

No comments: