Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day Twenty, Hot-lanta!

I don't think I mentioned this yet, but yesterday I reached 5,000 miles on my road trip! Crazy! I couldn't believe I'd traveled that far and was only in Nashville, Tennessee. And I still have many miles to go before I reach my final destination for the trip of Wilmington and/or Raleigh, North Carolina. Almost there...

Today, I had a short 120 mile drive from Chattanooga, TN to Atlanta, GA to spend the weekend with my friend from USC, Ashley! She's interning there at Paste, a music magazine, where she gets to meet up and coming musicians, film their performances, and upload them as podcasts to the magazine's website. She's pretty much a rock star!

Ashley and her co-workers were taking the afternoon off to see "The Dark Knight" which makes her job sound even cooler than it already did, and I arrived in town just in time to tag along. I had somewhat mixed feelings about seeing the new Batman movie because first of all, as you all know, I'm a huge Superman fan and less of a Batman fan, second, I wasn't that impressed with "Batman Begins," as I guess if I'm going to watch a Batman movie, I want to see Batman and was sort of bored with the first half of the movie with the ninja guys, and third, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about watching Heath Ledger on the big screen for the first time since he died. However, I was extremely impressed with the new movie. In fact, I loved it! I totally recommend that everyone go see it in theaters, don't wait for DVD! Heath was incredible, he embodied the Joker character so much I kept forgetting it was him. I want to say more, but I can't for fear that I'll give something away. Just go see it! Trust me!

After the movie, we headed into Ashley's town of Decatur just outside of downtown Atlanta. By now, it was dinnertime so we grabbed some amazingly good burgers at The EARL, which stands for East Atlanta Restaurant and Lounge. Ashley ran through a list of 6 or 7 great local places she knows of for me to choose from for dinner and burgers just sounded good and they were! It was definitely a good choice! I was so impressed with her long list because I don't know if I could name that many places I like and often went to in LA even after living there for 5 years and she's only lived in Atlanta for 5 months between this summer and last. I clearly need to get out more so maybe this road trip is me taking the first step toward that! Let's hope so anyway!

Normally on this trip, dinner is the last event of the day, but Ashley is a fairly popular woman who had previously been invited to a friend's birthday soiree and I once again was fortunate enough to be able to tag along. Everyone there was very nice, there's just something about people in the south being so kind and friendly even to a total stranger like I was last night. I didn't know how things would go since I didn't know anyone or what it would be like, but I was pleasantly surprised at how welcoming everyone was and I had a great time. We even went out to a bar called the Dark Horse and had a drink there with the birthday group. I had half a glass of beer from a mini keg that a friend had gotten for the birthday girl, which was fun and different, and then had my favorite drink, a Midori sour, at the bar. It was extremely noisy in the bar, a combination of loud music and shouting conversations over the music, but I still had fun and was glad that I had been able to experience both the good people, the good conversations, and the good time!

I'm very excited about tomorrow because we will be going to a place that I've dreamed about going to for a really long time....the World of Coca Cola! Yay!

1 comment:

X said...

i'm jealous. I MISS YOU GUYS! - jazell