Monday, July 14, 2008

Day Fifteen, Gateway to the West

What an amazing episode of “The Closer” as usual! Now that I’ve had my TV break, it’s back to catching up on blogging, so here’s yesterday’s update…

Today was my Dad’s last day, so we got up early to make sure we had plenty of time to see the Arch and go in it if we wanted to. I didn’t even know you could go in the Arch, it seems like such a crazy thing to even say, let alone do! Especially for the two of us who are somewhat claustrophobic and extremely afraid of heights. I didn’t make up my mind about it until we got there, but if I’d really thought about it, I would have known what I was going to do sooner – Hey, let’s go in a small elevator capsule to the middle of a giant 600 foot Arch and look out little windows at the city and people below, ummm, yeah, no thanks! If you look really closely, you can see the little black windows on the right hand side of the arch, but what you won't see is my face looking out of them!

So we didn’t end up going inside the Arch, surprise, surprise, but I don’t regret it. I just wanted to see it since it seems like one of those road trip attractions that everyone should see at least once. It’s very cool and a definite engineering feat that I am thoroughly impressed with, but other than that, part of me was standing there in the park, staring up at this big stainless steel Arch and thinking, what am I doing here? But we got some great artistic shots of the Arch which made it worthwhile, including one my dad took while lying down on the ground looking up at me and the Arch, very impressive Dad! And it was a simple thing to do to spend some quality time with my Dad on his last day with me. We wandered around the park looking at the Arch from different angles and chatting and headed across the street to get my souvenier shot glass to prove I’d been there, done that!

Then we headed to the historic riverfront district at Lacledes Landing for an early lunch. Unfortunately, what we didn’t realize was that Lacledes Landing is more of a nighttime hangout with mostly bars and restaurants that weren’t open yet at 11am. However, we were able to find a place called Hannegan’s where we ate a light lunch of chicken Caesar salads so that we could save room for a celebratory and farewell cake party! It was mmm, mmm, good!
While we were in St. Louis, I also took the opportunity to dip my toes in the Mighty (and Muddy) Mississippi River.

And check out this cool photo I took of the old courthouse? I thought it was neat so I thought I'd share it with the rest of you.

Then I dropped Dad off at the airport and was once again on my own. I headed to my hotel to check in early and use the free wireless Internet to look up what else I could do in St. Louis while I was in town. However, I guess my dad was right in telling me that I should slow things down this week and not push myself so much because one minute I was surfing the web and the next thing I know I’m waking up two hours later! I totally passed out, clearly exhausted, so I decided to listen to my body and my dad and take it easy the rest of the day. I watched Field of Dreams, which made me want to go back to Dyersville, Iowa, and I even made a home cooked meal of spaghetti in my hotel room that was equipped with a kitchenette! It was so nice to get off the road and take a real break for the first time in a long time. Hopefully, it reenergized me enough for tomorrow’s exciting trip to Metropolis, IL to visit a certain flying man in blue! Guess who?!?

No comments: